Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy Review

Spoilers: There will inevitably spoilers.

This past weekend, I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy. GotG follows the story of Peter Quill, a.k.a. Star-Lord, a notorious outlaw. Quill, a human, is abducted from Earth as a child and grows up among the ravagers (i.e., space pirates) who kidnapped him. Through a series of events, Quill feels obligated to rescue the galaxy from an apocalyptic danger he unintentionally unleashed. To accomplish this, he forms a hodgepodge and often fractious band of unlikely heroes.

As a geek and a comic book fan, I am guaranteed to enjoy almost any movie based on a Marvel character or storyline. That being said, I really truly enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.  Chris Pratt (as Peter Quill) was easily my favorite actor in the whole movie. Closely followed by Dave Bautista (as Drax) whose deadpan had me clutching my sides in laughter. The soundtrack was easily one of my favorite elements of the movie overall. Classic hits such as "Hooked on a Feeling" and "Cherry Bomb" are tied into the plot and woven throughout the storyline. Another really cool factor was to see the visual design elements carried from one Marvel movie to the next.

The least enjoyable performance was, unfortunately, from one of my favorite actors: Karen Gillan (as Nebula) of Doctor Who fame. I'd been looking forward to Gillan's appearance as Nebula ever since her bald head reveal at Comic Con 2013. I've been wondering ever since I saw it if it was just the character that bothered me, but something about Gillan's performance still rubs me the wrong way.

Overall, if I had to give this movie a score, I'd say 4.5/5. We did go see it in 3D, but I can't say as it added much as it didn't really stand out to me as exceptionally noticeable. What I loved most about the movie is that it didn't take itself too seriously and made for a hilarious and engaging film. Definitely great fun for the geek crowd, but funny enough and with enough pop culture references to keep the general public amused.
Post a Comment