Monday, July 14, 2014

The Frugal Foodie Cookbook Kickoff

The Frugal Foodie Cookbook: 200 Gourmet Recipes for Any Budget
I love to cook. I really, truly do. There’s just something magical about mixing together ingredients just-so and making a delicious meal. Unfortunately, I hate cleaning up and that is a stronger deterrent than I would like to admit when it comes to venturing into the kitchen. That being said, I am starting to make more of an effort to eat in and to cook good, delicious, healthy foods and also a wider variety. I cook well, but I tend to cook the same 20 odd things over and over again and it gets a little boring. This latest endeavor had me perusing my bookshelves the other day and I happened across a cookbook that a friend had given me a couple years ago, but I’d never really done anything with. 

The Frugal Foodie Cookbook”, by Alanna Kaufman and Alex Small touts a tagline of “200 Gourmet Recipes for Any Budget”. Needless to say, this was intriguing, so I dove into the book. Without yet having made any of the recipes, it looks like Kaufman and Small have produced a compact but complete well-rounded cookbook with a wide variety of recipes to suit any palate. While most of the recipes seem simple and a relatively easy skill level, they sound delicious and had me raring to try some.

Delayed by a broken fridge (hence, also no groceries), I have had to postpone ‘til tonight when my fridge will (hopefully, hopefully! EDIT: It's been replaced!!) be finally fixed once and for all. But now that the day is upon us, I am hopeful that I will be able to start out on this little adventure this evening. I’ve outlined the recipes I’d like to try below. If you happen to give any of them a try, I’d love to hear what you thought!

  • Chickpea and Broccoli Orecchiette
    • I already love chickpeas, so this vegetarian pasta dish sounds fantastic. They even say it’s “light enough for summer”.
  • Grilled Peach and Shrimp Crostini
    • Need I say more?
  • Vietnamese Chicken and Mint Salad
    • My finally flourishing mint plant will go to good use in this
  • Honey, Thyme, Pear and Goat Cheese Sandwich
    • This sandwich combines several of my favorite things all together.
  • Cinnamon-Cranberry-Orange-Oat Scones
    • You had me at “scones”
  • Blue Cheese Inside-Out Turkey Burgers
    • I love a good turkey burger. My personal favorite is a Greek turkey burger with feta, dill and lemon juice, but I’m always willing to give another a try.
  • Spicy Beef and Black Bean Burritos
  • Fresh Baked Bread
    • I have been wanting to get back to this for a while, but being stuck on the gluten-free train until recently has made it too daunting until now.
  • Lemon-Yogurt Salmon and Orzo Salad
    • My mom and I were reading this recipe yesterday and we both looked up at the same time and said “I have to try this!”
  • PB&J (Hold the Crust) Muffins
    • I never really liked PB&J as a kid, but as an adult I have grown to love it. Weird, I know, but true.
  • Stir-Me-Not Bars
  • Blueberry Coffee Cake
  • Cherry Bread Pudding
    • Who doesn’t like bread pudding? I want to see a show of hands. And by “show of hands”, I mean “no hands”.
  • Mint Limeade Spritzer

And those are the recipes I want to try (to begin with)! Believe it or not, that is actually just one recipe from each section of the cookbook. Quite a compilation! You know what else is pretty cool? All but five of the recipes listed above are vegetarian without any substitutions. I’m looking forward to passing these on to friends provided they pass the test!
Post a Comment