Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Please Slow Down

I was out running errands on my lunch break today when a sign caught my eye as I was driving down the highway. "Please Slow Down" it read. Obviously, it had been placed there because of construction zones, but today it struck a different chord with me. "Please Slow Down". I feel like I need this sign to flash in front of me about once a day. Not because I'm speeding while driving (I'm probably one of the pokiest drivers out there), but because of how often I run, run, run through my day, never taking a moment to just sit and breathe.

This has been something I've started to notice more and more. I have a tendency to work late, to take on even more projects and overcommit myself. Not that I can't get it all done. I always do. And not that it isn't all worthy occupations. They are. Work is important. So is community service. So is school. But I'm stressed and I enjoy myself less. I have tried to remind myself to "stop and smell the roses" more often, as they say. You may remember this post where I wrote about forcing myself to relax in a moment where things didn't go according to plan. The problem is, I've gotten to the point where I only take those moments if I'm forced to.

So, with the encouragement from a random sign in a construction zone, I'm going to attempt to slow down. I'm not going to stop working (perish the thought!), or stop volunteering (ridiculous!), or even drop out of school (are you mad?), but I am going to make a point to relax more. To spend more quality time with friends. To (dare I say it?) spend more quality time on my own.

Post a Comment