Sunday, May 4, 2014

My Review of Plated

When People Are Too Lazy to Grocery Shop

OK, that might be a bit of a stretch. I love the idea of Plated.  Ingredients for fantastic meals shipped directly to me? Oh, yes, please. I have a landlord who refuses to fix my broken fridge, I work long hours and always end up getting home at night exhausted and hungry.  At $12 a plate, it is pricey. But it seemed like if it was tasty and convenient it could be worth it, especially as I wouldn't be doing it every day.  Fortunately, they had a special offer going on for two free plates and I decided to give it a try.


So when my box arrived yesterday (after some shenanigans from FedEx), I was definitely excited. I opened the box and was pleasantly surprised to see fresh ingredients all portioned out precisely. I tucked the ingredients for the Seared Tuna Salad into the fridge and started working on the prep for the Asian Flatiron Steak with Watercress Salad. 

Pros:

  • Easy to follow recipe
  • It made a HUGE salad (seriously, so much watercress and frisee)
  • I loved the cucumber and carrots in ribbons (I will be doing this for other salads in the future). 

Cons:

  • Protein size was small. Because it was a salad, it balanced out alright for me (and my leftovers for later), but in terms of an entree, it was a little disappointing. If I'd been serving it to guests, I would've been embarrassed.
  • Salad dressing was nondescript (I went back and re-read the recipe three times just to make sure I'd read it correctly)
  • Apparently, both watercress and frisee are not on my list of "favorite tastes".

All in all, it wasn't a bad experience, but it definitely wasn't what I'd been hoping for. I'm going to give Plated another try and see if they can change my mind, but for now, this looks like a swing and a miss.
Post a Comment