Tuesday, August 27, 2013

When Things Don't Go According to Plan

I am a planner. I like to straighten out all the details. I like things to go the way that I plan. And life has this habit of getting in the way.

Specifically, this weekend an inattentive driver that ran a red light got in the way. It is one of those things where you sound really ridiculous if you say "I never expected it would happen to me." I mean, of course we don't. That's why they call them "accidents," right? But this one completely blew me away.



The sun was shining. I'd had a good morning, having spent it with a friend and was just on my way home from dropping her off. I was minding my own business, driving alongdown a road I drive probably five times a week, if not more. I didn't see the other driver until she was barreling down on my car. It was that moment where it felt like I was in slow motion and in double-time all at once. I can remember staring at her in disbelief (for what can't have been more than a millisecond) as she just. kept. coming. Then, the feeling of impact. The world's a blur. Spinning, spinning, and another impact.

All in all, I really lucked out in terms of my personal well-being. I'm shaken and sore, but no broken bones or other major injuries. I spent half a day in urgent care today, being carted around for tests, x-rays, and exams.

My car, however, was not so lucky. It is most definitely NOT operable right now.  I've been on the phone with the insurance and towing companies all day trying to even get the car to the right spot. It's been a huge headache, but I'm hopeful that it will all work out.

So my lessons coming out of this are:

  1. Always wear your seatbelt - Seriously, guys. Always wear your fucking seatbelt. This was a "minor" accident in terms of my injuries, but if I hadn't been buckled in, they probably would've had to scrape me off of the pavement. 
  2. Don't text and drive - A number of people have said that it sounds like the other driver was texting while driving and not watching the road. I know we've all seen the signs, the hashtags, etc., but please, please, please, I beg you. Don't text and drive. "#ItCanWait" doesn't even begin to cover it. 
  3. Get and/or maintain your car insurance - The other driver does not have insurance. And you can be sure that she is going to be getting in a lot of trouble. I wish that it didn't fall on me to report her, but I have to protect myself and that means reporting her to the police, contacting lawyers, and more. Guys, insurance is not that expensive. Not when compared to the value of your life, someone else's life, or even material property. It's a small expense to pay each month that (at the very least) will help protect you from someone else coming after you if you're at fault. 

I'm sure there's more that will come to mind, but those are the big three that are pressing on my mind today.

Please be careful. Be safe out there, folks. 
Post a Comment