Saturday, August 10, 2013

Peach Pie Perfection (Gluten-Free!)

There are certain areas of the grocery store that I just try to avoid. The top three are: bakery, frozen meals, and the refrigerated biscuit dough section.  It's just easier not to see what I can't or shouldn't have. This conscious avoidance explains why I was the last person to find out that Pillsbury recently released three new gluten-free products! Pillsbury now has gluten-free pizza dough, chocolate chip cookie dough and pastry dough.  I've tried the pizza dough (meh, but worth a second try) and the chocolate chip cookie dough (good, and allowed me to treat myself to my first ice cream sandwich in almost two years). Today was the day to give the pastry dough a try.



I am not a baker. I don't even really like baking that much. Partly because gluten-free baking is so much more involved and so much more expensive, but also because baking in general is much too precise. I prefer the whimsy and improvisation of cooking any day. I'd picked up the pastry dough early this week and it had been sitting there waiting for me to make the next move. I'd picked up some canned filling, but wasn't really feeling it. Then, this morning I stopped by the Cleveland Flea. While there, I picked up some great art for my apartment and also found the Rooted in Cleveland stand. An all organic, local produce stand, I was immediately drawn in by the gorgeous produce. And I picked up four of the biggest, most beautiful peaches I've ever seen.

Now, normally I do not like peach pie. Frozen and grocery store peach pies tend to be sickly sweet and I've never experienced a really good homemade peach pie. But those peaches caught my eye and got me thinking. So, peach pie it is!

As far as reviews of the product go: It was not the best pie crust I've ever seen. It was, however, the best gluten-free pie crust I've ever encountered. It was relatively easy to use, held up well, and was nice and flaky.

As for the peach pie itself: I started the process by going to the all-wise, all-knowing Google and started to search for peach pie filling recipes.  I searched both for gluten-filled and gluten-free recipes and ended up using this one as a starting point.

Here's my recipe for what I think turned out to be a truly delicious peach pie filling.


  • 4 large, ripe peaches (these were quite large, so you might go for 5), chopped
    • I left skins on, but cleaned off the fuzz as she suggests in the original recipe
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 1/4 c. white rice flour
  • 1/4 t. cinnamon
  • 1/8 t. nutmeg
  • Pinch of salt
Preheat over to 425 F. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix. 

As far as the dough goes... I followed the directions exactly as they appear on the tub from Pillsbury. The only thing I changed was the cooking time, I added a whopping five minutes to the end because I felt the crust needed to be a bit more golden.

Okay, guys. Now I can gush, right? This pie was (is) phenomenal. The color is gorgeous. It's not too sweet, not too tart. Just a hint of spice so as to not overpower the amazing local, seasonal fruit.  Seriously, I may have to rethink my stance on baking. I want a second piece of pie. 


Post a Comment