Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Body Policing

I've been thinking about this post for a while. Mostly because I didn't know if I wanted to write and post it or not.

What really prompted me to go ahead and post this was a passing statement written on another blog. I'm not going to name the blog in question as the statement truly seemed to be in passing and I don't want to prompt a flood of comments calling out this person (who happens to be quite well known) on something that was not the main topic of her post and she probably didn't even think about posting.


She mentions that people are allowed to publicly tell skinny girls to eat, but not allowed to tell overweight people to diet and it just kind of made me stop. Because really, both happen all the time and I'm curious as to why either of these are considered okay. 

Really, what it comes down to is the fact that if you're a woman (and increasingly for men), your body is not your own. Your appearance is not your own. Your health isn't even your own. It doesn't matter what you do, what you eat, what you wear, what you feel. There will always be people who have something to criticize or something to say about you. In a weird way, it's almost like being a woman is performance art. Whether you want it to be or not. 

Here's the thing: no matter what size you are (and I mean that quite sincerely) there are basic healthy things you can do to improve your health.  

- Regular, moderate exercise
- A healthy diet (get those fruits and veggies!)
- Mental wellness

You may lose weight, you may not. And whether that's a good thing or not is entirely up to you. I trained six months for a half marathon, cut most processed foods from my diet, increased my fruit and veg intake, and still did not lose any weight.  But I did feel amazing. I had more energy, I felt better, I enjoyed life more. I even liked myself more. If you actually want to improve and enhance your life, focus on health, not on weight and not on size. 

And please, please stop fucking with people's heads and policing their bodies. Particularly without knowing them or their situation.
Post a Comment