Sunday, July 14, 2013

What Gets Me Through

I've been sitting here for a couple days trying to figure out what to write. Life is busy, but nothing terribly significant to write about. Mostly, it's just mindless movement forward, trying to get to the next milestone or significant revelation.  This feeling of pervasive monotony means that I'm going back to my one true love to get me through the day: MUSIC! Here are some of my current favorite songs, artists, etc., that help the days speed by.



Bach Partitas for Solo Violin by Hilary Hahn
Hilary Hahn is a master on the violin. Simply phenomenal. And while Bach frustrated me to no end as a young violinist, I love being able to listen to Bach and just enjoy it now.



Radiolab
Okay. They're not music. But they are amazing. I love Radiolab. This is a fantastic radio show (that I listen to as a podcast) put out by WNYC. The hosts are Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich. "Radiolab is a show about curiosity. Where sound illuminates ideas, and the boundaries blur between science, philosophy, and human experience." They talk about everything. There really is no other way to say it. I love Radiolab because it a) gives me the opportunity to slow down and b) forces me to think. The embedded video isn't actually an example of their podcast, but a video they put together after a recent show on symmetry.




Frank Turner
I am a newbie to Frank Turner, but I've fallen hard and fast for his most recent album, "Tape Deck Heart." I'd highly encourage you to check it out. The video below is "Plain Sailing Weather".



Vows by Kimbra
Kimbra is simply fantastic. Unique sound, ingenuity by the pound, and a voice that defies genre. It's hard to put her in a box stylistically. Below is just one example.

Post a Comment