Thursday, May 2, 2013

Training Win

Well, it is May already and I cannot believe it's finally here! The Cleveland Marathon is 16 days away and I'm starting to get really nervous about it. Training lately has been sporadic for me due to work, traveling and other events. It's been hard to motivate myself to get out there and even do a few miles when I come home and all I want to do is collapse into bed.

But... yesterday I realized something (and pardon me if this is old hat to the rest of you): the hardest part about training is getting dressed and walking out the door. I'm not kidding. It seems like as soon as I get out that door, I'm well on my way to my goal.



The real reason I'm writing this more is because I am so excited about my walk/run last night. I really didn't want to go and then I decided that I had to at least do something, even if it was just an hour of light walking. So, I pulled on my running gear, double-knotted my shoe laces and headed out the door. You guys, I don't know why this happens, but it seems like whenever I focus on just going out there and doing "something", I go faster than I expect. As soon as I say I want to reach "X" pace, I slow down again, but if I tell myself "I'm going to walk for an hour", it's like I have wings!

Yesterday was probably one of my best days ever. Not only did I complete my fastest 5K ever, but I also completed my fastest mile ever! To some people, my pace would not sound like much. I'm still on the "tortoise" end of the Hare-Tortoise scale. But for me, little-old-me who felt like it was a struggle just six months ago to even walk a mile at all? I will take this feeling of victory and run with it!

Speaking of last night, I'm including a few pictures below from my walk/run. I usually try not to stop and take pictures while training because it tends to distract me, but it was so beautiful last night that I couldn't help it.

My neighborhood seems to be covered in a cascade of Magnolia petals this week.
I am not complaining at all.

The view from my front door.
Can't get much better than this!

Was running along the Shaker Lakes Trail when I looked up and nearly ran headlong into this deer.
I was so surprised it stopped my in my tracks.
I walked through (yes, through!) a pack of about six deer.
You can also read this post and more on my training blog here.
Post a Comment