Saturday, April 20, 2013

YouTube Trolls

Where do I begin?

First off, I should say that I understand that sometimes (most of the time?) there are f****** idiots on the Internet that have nothing better to do with their time and small brains than sit and make stupid comments on YouTube videos. I know this and usually I just roll my eyes and move on.

But something hit me this morning and it just feels like I need to get it off my chest.

Enough with the cheap shots at the fat and/or "ugly" girls. I'm so fucking tired of seeing trolls post ignorant shit (hmmm, my attempt at not-swearing did not last very long). Especially about fat girls. Yes, it hits close to home.



Case in point: Beth Ditto, one of my favorite singers ever, from Gossip gets all sorts of nasty shit written about her on YouTube comments. Yes, yes, I know. Their opinion doesn't matter. BUT it perpetuates the idea that criticizing and shaming people (family members, random strangers, celebrities) on the basis of their weight or their looks is socially acceptable. Oh, wait. That's right. It IS socially acceptable. That doesn't make it right though. It's so wrong that it just makes me livid.

And so now I bring to you: "Trolls of YouTube". (I did include one "positive" comment because I was still kind of pissed off about how the commenter made it sound like it was such a surprise to find a fat person attractive).

To quote John Green, this is one of those things that turns me into "a giant squid of anger".











Post a Comment