Thursday, March 7, 2013

Setbacks and Starting Up (Again)

Well, here I am. We're about nine weeks away from event day and I am much farther behind than I'd like. In January, I was doing well, had actually reached my longest distance up to that date (about five miles and actually going at a pretty good clip for me) and then about a mile from home, I felt and heard something pop. In my hip. It wasn't broken or fractured, but it did mean that I had to stop training for awhile and then go back v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y for the rest.



This week, I got out there and actually started up again more seriously, at least on distance. I even took my mom with me (Hi, Mom!) and we enjoyed our four mile walk/run together. I rolled my ankle during, but it seemed fine, so I just continued on. We made it home and I was looking forward to getting back to training in earnest. Wouldn't you know, the next day I woke up and my foot was swollen and painful? Yep. I win --most injury prone-half-marathon-attempting-individual-ever. Shouldn't there be an award for that? Either way, I'm back to ice packs and tentative training. Sigh.

Even through all of this, which admittedly has been very frustrating for me, the one thing I keep thinking is "This is nothing compared to battling a life-threatening illness like cancer". And it really isn't. I think of the LLS staff and their commitment to their cause. I think of our coaches and how they give up their time and energy to support LLS because it means so much to them. And I especially think of our team's honorees and how hard they are fighting every day. And I think again "this obstacle is nothing" and I just keep moving forward.

That being said, my first fundraising event for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is this weekend. My teammate, Patria and I are holding an event called "Zumbathon(r): Dance for a Cure!". It's a two hour event filled with music, dancing, and (at least on my part) laughter. Tickets are $10/each and the event is open to the public. You can find more information here. I hope to see you there!

Even if you can't attend, please still consider donating to LLS. You can be a part of their life-saving work.

(This entry originally posted on my training blog here: http://pages.teamintraining.org//noh/cleve13/lglorioso)
Post a Comment