Monday, March 11, 2013

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2) for Dummies

Or "By a  Dummy-Who-Never-Should-Have-Updated"

I am convinced that OS X 10.8.2 is the Windows Vista of Apple Land. Talk about a drag. But first, let's get some backstory:

I recently got a new phone and after trying Android for a while, I decided to try out the iPhone. Not being an out-and-out Apple fangirl, I didn't see a need to get the latest model, so I got the 4S which, with a lovely green rebate from my carrier for turning in my old phone, cost me less than $80 with a contract renewal. (This review is not about the iPhone, but let me say that so far I like it pretty well, though it is annoying having to learn a whole different system).



One thing that I don't like about my iPhone right now is whenever I plug it into my computer, it only shows up in iTunes. I really loved the simplicity of plugging my HTC into my computer and being able to open it as a disk drive. Not so with this one (though I think I'm going to have to stop by the Apple Store this week for them to check it over). So this means that all the photos and videos that I wanted to download form my fundraiser this weekend are still stuck on my computer. Granted, I can upload them to Facebook, but I can't send them to the charity I was working with or the studio that hosted our event.

So, after some research it looked like I needed to use Photostream if the disk drive option did not work.  Unfortunately, Photostream is only available with iCloud, which is only available with OS X 10.8.2. I had read some really horrible reviews about 10.8.2 and was hesitant to update to it without absolutely needing to. After asking a few friends who are fellow Mac users and getting reassurances that, while a little bit slower, it seemed fine, I went ahead and bought it and downloaded it last night.

And here comes the list of criticism:
  • In the reviews 10.8.2 was criticized for taking around two hours to download and install. I would have loved to have it take only two hours. How long did it take me? Five and a half hours.
  • I finally get it all downloaded and installed and then I start to see how much slower my Mac is. Not just a little bit slower, but a LOT slower. Maybe I'm just used to a super clean, efficient computer, but I don't like seeing the spinning rainbow wheel of death on a regular basis.
  • It changed the gestures. I love(d) the trackpad gestures. It was a great way to move around efficiently. Unfortunately, they've changed them. First, they reset my preferences to a "default". Secondly, they eliminated some of them (!!) and, worse still, changed others so now you have to relearn the gestures all over again. What happened to continuity, Apple?
  • iCloud pushes all the alerts to all your Mac devices --super annoying in my opinion and I can't find a way to turn it off on one and not the other(s). (Anyone who knows better, I'd greatly appreciate the help!)
  • My Adobe Creative Suite no longer works in this new OS. Granted, I have an old version of CS, but I still use them regularly! It really pisses me off that software that costs around $1600 is not compatible with my OS.
  • Lastly, it completely defeated the purpose. I wanted it for iCloud/Photostream. After all that angst and trouble, I learn that I also have to upgrade iPhoto in order to use the features I wanted to with my iPhone. So that's going to be an extra $15 and who knows how much trouble.
Apple, I'm trying to wait patiently for a new OS to come out and raise the bar again. But as of right now? This product is too reminiscent of Windows Vista --energy hog, memory hog, and a slow-moving one at that.  I want 10.6.2 back.
Post a Comment