Friday, March 22, 2013

Independence

I had someone ask me today if I was in love. Their logic? I'd been dressing up more often, pulled out some "girly-girl" fashion, and just looked "happier". While this encounter was rather bemusing, it reminded me of something I've been trying to voice but haven't had the chance to put down on paper yet.

Here it is: I am in love. Well, not in the way you expect, I suppose. I'm in love with myself (hear me out before you roll your eyes). After 20 odd years of thinking I wasn't good enough; pretty enough to spend time or money or effort on. This is what changed: one day I decided enough was enough and that I wasn't going to put my life on hold for anyone or anything -be it more money, a different number on the scale, or a change in philosophy. It's a novel concept, but one that so many women struggle with everyday. We think "when I lose those ten pounds", or "when I just get that promotion", or any number of excuses we force ourselves into.



Put your life on hold for nothing and no one. You're beautiful. Do what you want to do. Become independent so you can do whatever you want without relying on others. If you want to take that trip, save up and take it. If you like that short pink skirt, rock that skirt and fuck those who would tell you that you can't because of their expectations for your behavior, your body shape or your style. You are your own person and that's the beauty of independence.

And that's the long and short of it. I am an independent, self-sufficient woman, I love my life and I go after what I want. It's simple but oh-so-profound at the same time.



Post a Comment