Friday, June 1, 2012

Withdrawal

This week, I am in extreme-bitchiness-mode.

About five days ago I gave up wheat and yeast. Thanks to that, I am now experiencing what is essentially withdrawal. Wheat allergies manifest in a number of ways, but a lot of the time, it shows up almost like an addiction. Your body craves it constantly and giving it up is hell.

For me, being allergic to wheat is a constant struggle. If I eat it, I'm not going to swell up and die. I will, however, gain weight uncontrollably, battle headaches, feel lethargic and just feel shitty in general. It sounds bad, but it can be easy to ignore if you get used to it.

Eating gluten-free is a constant exercise in ingenuity and willpower. Managers brought donuts in for work? Not happening. Invited out to lunch? Better order that wrap as a salad. (And may I just say, this is coming from someone who despises most salads).  Just want one fucking cupcake at the end of a shitty week? Also not happening.

It's tough. And I hate. And I'm a grumpy bitch right now thanks to it. But I know it will be worth it in the long run.
Post a Comment