Saturday, April 21, 2012

Nonna Antonetta's Rice Pudding

One thing I love about spending time with my grandparents is the wealth of heritage that comes with them. Today over dinner we got to talking about family recipes that have been passed down for generations. One that got the most mention and the most praise was my great-grandmother's rice pudding. I, personally, think I make a pretty mean rice pudding, but as this one is a family recipe, I may have to give it a try.

Nonna's Rice Pudding

1 pound of rice
1 c. sugar
1 1/12 c. milk
salt to taste
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 t. baking powder
8 eggs
2 T. oil
2 T. Crisco
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat over to 400F degrees. Rinse rice before coking. Boil rice in 8 cups of water and boil until all water is absorbed. In bowl, combine all ingredients except for rice. Fold in rice. Pour into greased baking dish. Cook in oven for 30 minutes. Then lower the temperature to 300F degrees and cook for an additional 30 minutes.

UPDATE: Many thanks to Natalie, who gave this recipe a try! It looks like it turned out beautifully!
Post a Comment