Friday, March 30, 2012

MegaMillions Lottery

Update: I won a big, fat NOTHING. Not surprising, but oh well!

So, right now, the Mega Millions jackpot is big. Bigger than big. It's frickin' huge. The current jackpot is $640 million dollars. That is a LOT of money. A whole lot.

So, just as a joke, some friends and I put together some pocket change and bought a few tickets. Now, we know our chances of winning are something like 1 in 175 million, but it's nice to laugh about it.  It really got me thinking, what would I do with $640 million dollars? Or even $320 million dollars (I figure the government would take at least half of it for taxes).

First things first, put at least half of it away. One thing I do know is that no matter how much money you have, it never lasts forever and you've got to plan for a rainy day. Or a downpour. Or a flash flood.

So that bring me down to $160 mil. Still nothing to sneeze at. Pretty incredible really. If someone wins this and handles it wisely, they've got it made for life. Anyway, back to the $160 mil...

First things first, I would pay off any and all debt. Credit cards, school loans, car loans, etc., all of it is gone! Wouldn't that be an awesome feelings?

Next order of business: Going back to school. I've always planned to go back to school, but what keeps me from doing that is not wanting to go more into debt.

Next, I'd buy a car. This car.


Isn't it gorgeous? Fuel efficient, four seater, easy to parallel park. It's a Mini Cooper S and it's awesome. Even without the lottery, I'm hoping that I can start investing into one of these in the next ten years or so once my student loans are paid off. They hold their value really well and it's a great car all around.

Next, I would probably get a new apartment. I've been living in a one-room-studio for the past two years and it would feel so nice to have some space to actually 'live' in my apartment. I wouldn't want anything big. It's just me and I like my solitude, so maybe just a bedroom or two, a living room, and  a kitchen.

Third on the list? Join the Peace Corps. Actually, this might be second on the list as it would be easier to do before school, a new car, and a new apartment. I've wanted to join for the past five years or so, but have never been able to because not all of my loans will defer if I go overseas.

I'd really like to see a sizable donation go to some non-profit organizations that I really believe in. There have been groups that have helped me out when I'm down and out and it would be nice to be able to repay them (and then some!) for their generosity.

That is pretty much it. That's all I could come up with! So, I guess if by some crazy chance (again, 1 in 175 million) I win the MegaMillions, I'm going to have a lot to save for a rainy day!
Post a Comment