Thursday, February 2, 2012

Susan G Komen? Never Have, Never Will

There has been a lot of discussion flying around the past few days thanks to Susan G Komen withdrawing funding from Planned Parenthood for breast exams.  Whether or not you agree with this act is of no concern to me.  However, since it is a hot topic these days, I thought I'd share about why I never have and never will support the Susan G Komen foundation.

When I first heard of Susan G Komen, I was  a little bemused, but overall optimistic about their impact on American society for cancer awareness.  A few years later, it was getting to the point of annoyance.  All the pink, all the ribbons, all the walks and for what?  We haven't seen a drastic reduction in breast cancer cases (walk for what cure?). I asked a friend and breast cancer survivor where she would want funds to go to help someone diagnosed with breast cancer. The answer? Hands down, the American Cancer Society. Plus (and this has been my beef from day one), why are we churning out millions of dollars to a foundation that neither seriously funds research nor helps with the causes for far more common cancers.

The Susan G Komen Foundation is a hyped up publicity campaign fueled by scads of pink ribbons, survivors, and grieving families. I admire what they at least said they were trying to do in the beginning, but actions speak louder than words.   A great post about what Susan G Komen actually does with their funding can be found here (plus a lot of comments from a lot of people with too much time on their hands).
Post a Comment