Sunday, February 5, 2012

StrengthsFinder 2.0

I'm at that point in my life where I'm out of college, but not yet in an established 'career'. Lately, I've been thinking about personal development and really trying to work with my natural talents. So many people go through life  not fully living and get to the end only to wonder "what did I do with my life?"

I don't want to be one of those people. I don't want to reach my 50s only to wake-up to a cookie cutter life in Suburbia. That's the sort of thing that gives me nightmares. I want to be one that lives life to the fullest no matter where I am. I want to be able to say that I helped others and gave all I had.

Abbie Hoffman said that he'd lost faith in the newer generations because they were more concerned with money rather than important things like values, passion, and revolution. It's true. It's sad. And it took me a long time to be able to admit that even to myself. I did what I was 'supposed to do' because it was supposed to make me financially stable, not because it makes me happy or it fulfills me as a person.  It's just so saddening to think of the time and money (there it is again!) I've wasted on things that are just pulling me down.

As I said before, I'm trying to get to the point where I actually like myself and like what I'm doing with the talents I've been given. That being said, I'm recommending a great resource. "StrengthsFinder 2.0" is, in it's most basic form, a book put out by Gallup Press (yes, that Gallup) based on their research over the years in strengths/talents.  I'm going through the material in a six-week course with a local group. Included in the book is an access code so that you can complete the assessment online. After completing the assessment, I was pretty surprised to see what my strengths and talents are, but at the same it seemed like they 'fit'. I'm really excited about what this will actually do for me and, not only my personal career development, but also my life overall.

At this point, something's gotta give.
Post a Comment