Monday, July 25, 2011

RIP Amy Winehouse

I just have to say it. I don't care who you are, what your opinion is of Amy Winehouse, her music or her lifestyle, it's still sad and upsetting that a great musician, and (more importantly) a human being is gone.  She was troubled, yes, but she deserves the same dignity that any other individual does.

Someone told me today that they didn't think it was sad because it was her choice. Wait. So if someone dies a certain way or lives their life in a manner you don't agree with, you think her death is 'justified' or less sad than another person's? I've said it before and I will say it again: Death is just mindless, thoughtless pain.

I, for one, loved her music. I still love it. (Listening to "Back to Black" while on my lunch break). I found her distinctive voice, in-your-face lyrics and neo-soul sound a breath of fresh air.  I loved her style, her audacity, and her honesty.

I am extremely saddened, not only by the loss of this incredible, if haunted, woman, but also by the things people say with flippancy or ignorance.

For a great quasi-eulogy, visit Russell Brand's website and read his entry titled "For Amy".

Post a Comment