Sunday, June 19, 2011

Next to Normal

Wow. Got to see Next to Normal today.


Raw.
Amazing.
Real.
Impressive.
Visceral.


One of the best musicals I've seen all season.  While I like all the light-hearted and/or fantastical stuff of musicals like Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, and even Shrek, there is just something about the very real, raw subject of reality. For those of you that don't know, Next to Normal recently won a Tony Award and Alice Ripley (who plays 'Diana') was awarded best actor in a musical.  It is about the struggles of a family dealing with psychological issues (mostly bipolar disorder) and family life dysfunction.

When watching Next to Normal and other productions in a similar vein (Rent, Garden State, Ordinary People all come to mind), what I have to start asking myself is "If dysfunction is everyday, what then is normal?"

Anyway, Next to Normal was amazing. I sniffled (okay, cried) through most of it. Most of the time, what I appreciate most about shows like Next to Normal is their honesty and, while I do appreciate it, sometimes it hits just a little too close to home.

Had a great weekend hanging out with E. She came to visit and we all got to hang out at the CSA, the farmers' market, the art museum, and even an Indians' game. Go Tribe!  Back in first. :)
Post a Comment