Friday, April 15, 2011

Wide Open Spaces

There aren’t many days I miss the ‘country’. In fact, I’m pretty sure I can count those days from the past year and a half on two fingers. Usually, I love my tiny apartment (hole-in-the-wall that it is), my commute (15 minutes in rush hour? Yes, I say), and my proximity to all things “cultural”. I live in an area I love and I also love the fact that I have no yard work, no snow-shoveling and no minimum-30-minute drive to get to anywhere interesting.

But tonight? Tonight I want a wide open field. Or even a street with no street lamps and no traffic. I got out of work tonight as dusk was falling over the city. It seemed to put a cool hazy blue over everything. It was a beautiful night (it still is). On my way home, I rolled down the windows of my car, opened the sunroof and basked in the breeze, the smell of almost-spring.

And now, too quickly, the drive home is over and here I sit in my tiny apartment, wishing for the wing, listening to the trains rattle by my building. I’m wishing I could see stars, but the street lamps are smothering them and I’m just too far down the building totem pole to see much of anything.

So, I’m sitting here, computer on my lap, sitting on my bed, smelling patchouli incense burning on my book shelf. It’s a great life, but every once in a blue moon, I wish I didn’t feel so boxed in.
Post a Comment