Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Big Deal

OK, I will be the first to say that I always have some growing to do when it comes to matters of financial security. Even with all my bills paid on time and my credit card use minimal or nil, I know that I could be saving more, investing, planning for the future. I have decided that now's the time for change.

I look at my grandparents and (while we don't see eye to eye on everything) I have to admire them for their financial health. Thanks to their personal character and careful living, they managed to work at blue collar jobs all their lives and come out well in the clear. They saved their money; invested wisely and now they have a lot to show for it. They are some of the most generous people (maybe the most?) I know, helping out their kids and grandkids with not even a moment's notice, and yet they still live relatively simply for the wealth that I know they have. What incredible role models.

Granted, I will say right here and right now that I'm not really out there to get rich. Too many people I know have more than they know what to do with and end up squandering it or spending it on things that don't matter. Instead, I'd like to be financially secure and have enough extra for emergencies, special occasions, and supporting the causes I believe in.

So, here starts a new chapter --or at least a new paragraph to a new chapter? I've been at my 'new' job for over a year now; coming up on my first apartment move-in one year anniversary next month. A lot has changed in the past 16 months and I cannot be more grateful for it, but now is the time to change. To start, I am putting money aside in a 401k. It's not much, but it's enough to get me started.

Secondly, I am going to educate myself. (Please note: this means that I still do not want your unsolicited financial advice). On that note,  why are the finance books geared toward women called such stupid things as "Does This Make My Assets Look Fat?"? Really?  No wonder I have't taken this as seriously as I should when that's the first book that pops up on the library's hitlist.

Here's to financial wellness
Post a Comment