Sunday, January 23, 2011

Lazy Sunday

So far, Sunday has been good. Slept in. Did some reading. Cleaned the kitchen (I hate cleaning the kitchen, which should make Sunday an epic fail except for the fact that I can now walk into my apartment without feeling like I should go clean the kitchen! --for at least a day).  Now at Panera, drinking crappy tea (I mean, really, why is it that a cup of tea is so hard?) and enjoying the free wifi.

There is someone sitting across the room from me who reminds me of one of the banes of my existence and I'm having a really hard time not laughing out loud or asking her if she's related. That would probably a perfectly nice person who just (unfortunately) coincidentally looks like someone who drives me nuts.

Lately, I've been trying to cook more. Living alone, I have fallen into the trap of takeout or instant foods. It's not that I want to eat unhealthy foods (or that I want to spend that much money on lackluster crap), but sometimes when I come home after being at work for 12 hours, I want nothing more to do than to just eat and go to bed. But... I am trying to change my ways. As I actually like to grocery shop, it's not that hard and is more a matter of learning where to shop and what to buy. For instance, Target does not count as a grocery store.

One thing that has helped me in this is Jamie Oliver's cookbook "Food Revolution" (also called "Jamie's Ministry of Food"). It's part of a campaign that Oliver started, first in the UK and now in the US to get people cooking again. It's not even diet food. I mean, it's healthy, but it's good, wholesome food. It's all about getting away from the processed and the partially hydrogenated and getting back to the whole, organic stuff. The beauty of the cookbook is that -where many of his cookbooks in the past have been difficult thanks to pricing of the ingredients or availability- the recipes are comprised of affordable things, usually easy to find, and if not they're easy to substitute.  So far, I've made shrimp and corn chowder, crunchy garlic chicken, and cheesy cauliflower soup. All pretty easy, and they don't taste bad either.

Anyway, that's my Sunday thus far. Hope you all are enjoying the weekend and ready to get back to work tomorrow! I know I am.
Post a Comment