Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Life Goes On

Oh man. This week has been a doozy. Oh wait - it's only Wednesday! Well, hopefully Thursday and Friday will make up  for the first two days being completely shitty. I'm looking forward to the weekend (yay for fun weekend plans!), but at the same time I feel like I need to psych  myself up for these last couple days.

Being a "grown-up" is great, but it definitely is not a piece of cake. I'm currently trying to teach myself how to separate the different sectors of my life. I need to learn to leave personal issues at home, and leave work at work. Meh, it's a work in progress and I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

Sitting in Starbucks right now, enjoying my day off. I am not a huge Starbucks fan. It started off okay, but now Starbucks has morphed into the wanna-be arena for suburban housewives and business people who are desperately attempting their own brand of urban-chic. And here I sit... mainly because of the free wifi and the free drink coupon I had. It's making me feel entirely too yuppie.  While I do recognize what the company is trying to do, and the good they have done and are doing, I would like to see a different coffee shop on every corner - and not a Starbucks everywhere I turn. Guess I'll have to switch my wi-fi venue before I continue to preach. ;)

Not much else going on, still working; still skating. Feeling really weird not going back to school this semester. I know I've technically been out over a year, but it still feels strange not to have a stack of syllabi and a class list. I am slightly jealous. While it was always a challenge, school definitely gave me a sense of purpose that I'm not really finding in adult-life. It's all a lie, you know. They tell you to work for this piece of paper to help you get that job and then life goes on from there. While my degree probably did help my get my job, I'm not really using it at all and that frustrates me. I love anthropology and that is really what I want/wanted to do with my life. And now I'm pencil-pushing. Oh well! It's just in the meantime, right? One of these days (a few years from now and hopefully not more?) I'll embark on the next great education adventure and get back for that PhD. Here's hoping anyway.

Well, I'm out. Off to find a different coffee shop, a sense of purpose and something to spice up my boring life.
Post a Comment