Friday, August 6, 2010

!@#)&$*@%

No, I was not just swearing. I just couldn't think of a way to write a title that succinctly indicates the sound that comes to mind at this time on a Friday. It usually starts with a "blah" sound, turns kind of nasal and ends in a whine of hopefulness. See? The other title is so much easier.

End of Friday is fast-approaching and I couldn't be happier. It has been a tough week, but I'm glad I pushed through it. It's been tough, but it's come with it's own rewards.  Work: I finally gave myself my first week in about five weeks without working a stitch of OT. While I haven't been the superstar my bosses would like, I've managed to stay on top of my work and also have a day off.  Wednesday was glorious. I caught up on sleep, went shopping (not so glorious, but necessary), but the apartment clean (it's disorganized again) and made it to derby practice with ten minutes to spare.

And derby... Derby! Ack! I think I'm in love. Really. I almost didn't keep going. After messing up my arm, most likely breaking my tailbone and looking like an ass on skates (choose your interpretation: animal or metaphor), I just sucked it up and kept at it. I've had a number of people over my life emphasize the fact that I am "a quitter" in their eyes (likely only making me MORE of a quitter than before). So it turned into a "screw them, just watch me" and I went back. With a fair amount of trepidation. And aspirin. But... I did it! I made it through the practice. Only fell down once and (AND!!) was even told by a pro-derby girl that I had improved and that I was skating "really well". I've been on Cloud Nine since 10:45pm on Wednesday.  I did come out a little worse for wear, but staying iced up and still very happy.

Now for the weekend... Going to see Wizard of Oz tonight and then off to the west side to buy my skates tomorrow. After skate-shopping (and a significant wallet-lightening), headed off to take Nonna out to see Adam's Rib. Saturday night, giving the skates a whirl and hopefully not breaking my neck, and then family dinner on Sunday. Whew. Full weekend. But it should be good. :)


 I will try to post pictures of the skates if I'm able to pick them up this weekend. :)
Post a Comment