Thursday, July 15, 2010

::Rapid Flailing of Arms::

I don't think I've been on honest-to-goodness skates since I was in single-digits. And even then, I'm pretty sure they were made by Little Tikes. So what do I try to do? Join a rec roller derby league? Um, yes. So, never having been on skates before, I considered it a perfectly logical decision to go out and skate on one of the toughest sports I've ever seen - football's got nothing, you get a lot more padding and a nice soft field to land on. (Though, Rugby might take the cake).

I left work at about 7:00pm and made my way down to the skate rink where 'practice' is and managed to rent some skates and borrow some gear (I'm just proud of myself for remembering my own mouth-guard) and even managed to stay upright 50% of the time... Thank God for elbow pads, and knee pads, and wrist-guards and a mouth-guard and a helmet. Only minimal bruising out of last night, which is good.

Two things I liked immediately about this: 1) anyone can join, and they do mean anyone. Even out-of-shape, klutzes who've never skated before are welcome, and 2) all shapes and sizes in roller derby. I don't think there's really any other sport for women that engages both of those principles and it was encouraged to see women accepted as they are.
Post a Comment