Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Holiday Biscotti

-Easy, but Time-Consuming-

So, getting ready for Christmas and I am in a slightly better mood than I was in my last post... One last emergency grocery trip today (which turned out to be the second to last emergency trip as I forgot the chives), a little holiday music and a cookie later, I am feeling slightly more Christmas-y.  Getting ready for Christmas Eve & Day now...

I am one of those people that really does not want to be cooking/baking all day on a holiday. As much as I love to cook, I really see no pleasure in standing in a hot kitchen that is too small for its occupants all trying to complete last minute 'must-haves'. So, I'm getting my bit (or as much as I can of it) done today. Already finished prepping the artichokes, have tomorrow's recipe all planned out and the biscotti is in the oven.

This is my second attempt at making biscotti and it looks like it's going well. I basically took the recipes I found and combined them all together - the dough of one, the mix-ins of another, etc. It's actually pretty easy to make, but it just takes a long time. That whole 'baked-twice' deal, I guess. ;) Find the recipe below, have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. I'll probably be on again to try to avoid some of the insanity, but who knows.

_____________

Lindsey's Holiday Biscotti

1/2 c. vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 c. sugar
1 T anise extract
3.25 c. flour
1 T baking powder
1 c. chopped nuts (I use almonds or pecans)
1 c. dried cranberries

Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, beat together the oil, eggs, sugar and anise flavoring until well-blended. Combine the flour and baking powder, stir into the egg mixture to form a heavy dough. Divide dough into 2 pieces. Form each piece into a roll as long as your cookie sheet. Place roll onto the prepared cookie sheet, and press down to 1/2-inch thickness.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on a wire rack. When the cookies are cool enough to handle, slice each crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Place the slices cut side up back on to the baking sheet. Bake for an additional 6 to 10 minutes on each side. Cookie slices should be lightly toasted.

Serve plain or dip in chocolate before serving. Enjoy!
Post a Comment