Sunday, September 20, 2009

Lives of Quiet Desperation

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation... The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation...."
-Henry David Thoreau
_____________

I just finished watching Revolutionary Road. I wanted to comment on the incredible performance of the lead actors, the great vision of the director, but I can't. Not that they weren't incredible (they were), but the fact remains that I was just overwhelmed by the story and the feelings forced on me and out of me.

"Plenty of people are on to the emptiness, but it takes real guts to see the hopelessness."

I usually like 'deep' or 'heavy' films. A large dose of reality makes the best picture for me as I don't always appreciate sugar-coating or shallowness, but Revolutionary Road just left me feeling empty and aching. The biting reality of suburban facades of perfection, conformity, and the stifling dreams hit too close to home.
Post a Comment