Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Our "passions a quotation"? Literally?

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation" -Oscar Wilde

I don't know if any of you guys have ever noticed the quote sitting on the header of my blog, but I have to agree with Mr. Wilde. Pretty much everything to be said has already been said and we're just trying to think up new and improved ways of saying them (and not always succeeding). However, the more I read, books, interviews, and especially blogs, I feel like I am seeing people who are writing only what other people want to hear. People I know well (intelligent, educated, opinionated people) writing just to appease one group or one person, or writing to enforce this facade they have erected. This is starting to disturb me.

I am not innocent in this respect. Sometimes I feel like I write just to get a response out of people or to talk (translation: "rant") about what I've read recently. It is when I find these blogs that sound as if they've lifted the entire post from a well-known book or I scroll down a blog and nine out of ten in the archives are just lengthy block quotations that I have a problem. Are we growing up a generation of parrots? Are we writing just what people want to hear or what we want people to hear from us?
Post a Comment