Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sometimes I wonder...

The day started out like any other. I got up, ran out the door, and made it to work by about 7:45am. The work day itself was short and uneventful. I was not particularly looking forward to the rest of my day (shopping is never fun for me, especially clothes shopping), but determined to make the best of it. So, I called up a friend and determined to meet her later that day to have her come along for moral support.

So, I get home, pop in a movie, pull out the computer and just relax for a couple hours. It was beautiful. Really. Well, beautiful until I was twenty minutes late and keys were nowhere to be found. Poor Sarah had to witness all this panic via telephone as I kept interrupting deep, meaningful conversation with mutterings of "Where the heck are my keys?! I'm going to be so late..." Finally, I gave up. (I do have a spare key to the car. The panic surrounding lost keys is resulting more from the lost key drives which hold up to eight years of research, writing, and artwork). I fished my spare key out of the bottom of the box and ran out the door.

Through all this Sarah is still on the phone, still patiently waiting for me to regain my sanity. Even as I drove down the road, I was still retracing my steps in my mind. I grabbed my coffee cup from this morning, walked in the house and tossed it in the trash. I went to my room, dropped off the backpack and the books.... Ok, so where did I lose the keys? What I should probably mention here is that in the resulting panic, I tore apart the house. I crawled under tables, moved chairs, pulled bedding off of beds, turned out and shook upside down both my purse and my backpack, and created a lovely sense of chaos. As I was saying I finally gave up because I was already running late and had the spare key that would at least get me there on time. I walked in the house, tossed the cup in the trash. I went to my room, dropped off the backpack...

So I'm driving down the road, talking to Sarah, trying to get over my lost key drives (remind me to buy an external hard drive) as it seems futile at this point. Oh well. It's not like it's anything lasting... I'll just-- Wait... no, I couldn't-- but maybe I.... "I'm sorry, Sarah, I'm going to have to let you go. I just thought of the one place I didn't look."

They were there. Sitting innocently at the bottom. My grandmother could hardly believe her ears when I called and told her what I was thinking.

"Grams, this is going to sound crazy, but.... could you look in the trashcan?"
Post a Comment