Friday, March 6, 2009

La-di-dah or Tariq Ali Comes To Town

I don't know why, but for some reason I'm thinking of The Secret Garden. And then I thought of Martha saying to Mary Lennox, "I'm not all la-di-dah like a proper lady's maid". Hm. Not sure where that came from, but there you have it.

And on to Tariq Ali. You may recognize him for his films, his novels, his non-fiction works, or his political activism. Or you may not. I didn't. Pakistani-born political activist, author and speaker Tariq Ali is visiting University of Michigan-Flint as this year's Winegarten Scholar. Educated at Punjab University and Oxford, Ali studied politics, philosophy and economics and has been politically active since his college years. I am pretty excited about his visit. He'll be in Flint (poor, poor man) for a month and is giving a series of lectures, film screenings and also sponsoring the production of one of his play's on campus. I can't say that I will agree with or even appreciate all he says, but this really is a great opportunity. So, I'm eagerly looking forward to his first lecture next week and the film.

That being said I can now move on to what I've been dying to say since I started typing this post: THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY! This week has been a nightmare and I am incredibly happy to see the end of it! So now I'm looking forward to a semi-busy weekend of studying, studying, more studying, and maybe a little bit of a break!
________________

And lastly, I have to say that I loved this version of the opening bit on The Simpsons. Name those shows, anyone?

Post a Comment