Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Hello again

Well, here I am. I'm sitting here at work (Yes, I'm allowed to use the computer. Wipe that self-righteous arched eyebrow off your face!) and slightly bored. Life at the lab is slow. Yes, the lab is full to capacity, and yes, there are the occasional computer-illiterate who need help with their work or printing their documents. But overall, it is slow. I make the requisite lap around the computer lab to straighten chairs and keyboards. I love to walk through the lab and see people tense up as I walk behind them. I am the computer-police. No Facebook, Myspace, YouTube, or other frivolous activities allowed during busy hours of the computer lab. As people catch sight of lab staff in their peripheral vision, you can hear a wave of clicking --clicking mouses to bring up un-'frivolous' homework assignments to cover up so-and-so's newest profile update, or the latest YouTube craze.

There are days I wish I was still an art major. As shallow as it sounds, I loved my portfolio case... And then I remember how ridiculously heavy it was to carry around and I'm glad I stuck with Anthroplogy. Granted, my books are none too light, but they are less awkward to carry than a 3'x2' briefcase full of paper and drawing implements.

I just received my personal statement and reflexive essay back from my Capstone (undergrad thesis basically) advisor yesterday. I was actually surprised that I seemed to do all right. I was incredibly nervous just because I really didn't know what to expect or what to write. Outside of a few corrections, she said it was 'very nice'. I don't know if I've ever been so relieved. And over a silly little two-page paper, too. Perhaps I should be more worried about the essay exam I just turned in for Sex, Work, and International Capital?

On the same note (the Capstone, that is) I have finally chosen my topic. I am going to be looking into the affects of capitalism on the perception of 'traditional' art, particularly in folk art. Or, more precisely I want to look at how capitalism and the resulting influx of tourism has changed the perception of the traditional in terms of folk art, particularly 'souvenirs'. For example, the mexican blankets which are not a traditional mexican folk art. Neither are they made in Mexico... Or the boomerangs that can be bought in touristy shops which are crafted in Taiwan. It may seem like an odd subject, but I am actually finding a lot of interesting information out there and really enjoying my search. Other classmates have some great ideas as well (tacit taboos passed down through folk- and fairy-tales, language revitalization, etc.) so this should be pretty interesting!
Post a Comment