Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Lessons in Survival and Ingenuity

You would think that after living in the North for going on nine years now, I would be prepared for the onset of winter. You would think that. But no. I emerged from the library last night around 11pm to find the landscape transformed before my very eyes into frozen tundra. And there I was standing in a spring jacket, scarf and fingerless gloves. Granted, you have to give me credit for even remembering those as that --in and of itself-- is something I usually forget.

So, I brave the walk (two city blocks or so: not much) to my car to find my windows have frosted over. And not only have they been frosted over, apparently it rained earlier, so my windows are covered in frost and a layer of ICE! This is October!

Never fear! As a semi-native Michigander, I always have a window scraper in my car. Until now. I cannot find that darn scraper anywhere. (I'm still looking for it as a matter of fact).

Oh well. Always the inventive one (and as I've had to resort to this sort of thing before), I turn on my defroster full blast and reach inside my wallet for... dum-da-dum-dum... The old library card! Yes, folks, it's true. The best replacement for a misplaced scraper is none other than your little inoccuous, expired library card tucked in the deep recesses of your wallet. Cuidado, this method does have a slight inclination toward frozen, frostbitten fingers, but it gets the job done.

And it did. Here are some pictures that I took to document my lack of preparedness. It's more fun to laugh at yourself if people are laughing with you, I think.



The frozen windsheild --I'm just glad that I didn't have 6" of snow to add to the mix.



Finding the ever-trusty library card


Scraping. And scraping. And scraping some more.

Post a Comment