Monday, June 2, 2008

Magic Eight Ball

Shake, shake
Ask a question
Should I stay or should I go?
Shake, shake
Turn it over
Want an answer: yes or no

Put up
On my shelf
Growing dusty day by day
Don't stop
I ignore you
'Til I need to know again

Is God my magic eight ball?
Or is he the hall vending machine?
Put him away 'til the time's convenient
Laugh when I don't like the answers

Flip, flip
Seeking wisdom
I play scriptural roulette.
Don't like
What I'm seeing
Flip a few more pages yet.

Scorn, scoff
Then I close it
Ignoring any answers there.
Move on
I don't listen
It's easier to shut it out.

Is God my magic eight ball?
Or is he the hall vending machine?

.....

Okay, so I know this sounds slightly irreverent. In all honesty, I wanted it to sound like that. I want it to sound shallow, self-serving, etc. I was contemplating today --okay, not contemplating... I have had a few big decisions come up on me in the past few days and I realized I should pray about it. And then I was struck by the fact that I use God like some people use a magic eight ball. The first verse came to me as I was driving home from work and it seemed to work.

Then again, I'm over-tired and bordering on sleep deprivation right now, so it could be merely crappy and my sleepless state has allowed me to see my poetry through rose-colored glasses.
Post a Comment